[linux-dvb] Re: ATSC?

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 01:47:39AM -0800, Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > I am currently stuck with this awful set-top box:
> > http://gicout50.gic.gi.com/databases/gi/productc.nsf/487d09d64349e557852565db006d892d/f2fc5fd5cda96f2185256a3b005d9a5a?OpenDocument
>
> Eh.. you have cable, right? This is the same digital cable box I have. I
> bet you even have the same provider, TCI cablevision...

Yes, digital cable...provided by RCN.

> I don't think the signal is real ATSC (as ATSC refers to north american
> broadcast over aerials, not cable) but some strange DVB variant.

Hmm...I am just guessing this out, but:

http://gicout50.gic.gi.com/GIHomepa.nsf/?Open lists that Motorola unit as a
"Digital ATSC Interactive Network System".  (look under "Addressable Network
Terminals").  There is a separate product line (DVi4000 and DVi5000) which
uses DVB.  Those boxes have a DVB logo printed on the front panel and look
like they accept a smart card.

It's confusing because ATSC is the standards body; it doesn't refer to a
specific standards document (they seem to be named A/53, A/90, etc.).

> I don't think these cards will work for digital cable...

Do you know if any interface cards exist which will interpret this signal?

> BTW you really can receive DVB in north america, but you need a satellite
> dish... :-(

Yes, which is expensive, considering I already use my cable provider for
Internet access.

--
 - mdz