[linux-dvb] Re: ATSC

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Daniel Schmelzer wrote:
> Apparently, TWC encrypts their QAM256 signal, but in some markets sends out
> 8VSB.  Other companies may send the signal in the clear.

I don't know anyone doing 8VSB over north american cable system yet, it
appears to be reserved for HDTV. TCI certainly is not doing 8VSB.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=MPG.14e1f81875ce546b9896cc%40news.direct.ca&output=gplain

FWIW the cable operators compress the holy living shit out of their
channels so what the customer ends up receiving looks something like
realvideo over a 56k dialup connection.

I gave up on TCI digital cable because the quality was so horrible, and
went back to analogue. There is more chroma noise but the terrible
compression artifacts are gone.

-Dan
--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]