[linux-dvb] Hauppauge, again...

aded writes:
 > Hello,
 > finally I'll buy a satellite card, and probably I'll buy an Hauppauge.
 > I've seen two versions, "WinTV Nova" and "WinTV DVB's": both these cards
 > are supported for Linux (through Siemens driver), there are "only" 3
 > hardware differences:
 >
 > - audio (via-PCI in Nova, "dedicated" in DVB's);
 > - CI expansion in DVB's, nothing in Nova;
 > - TV out in DVB's, nothing in Nova.
 > - of course, Nova is less expensive...
 >
 > OK, now suppose that I have no problem for audio (no problem for PCI),
 > and suppose that... I can use the satellite card without a CI interface
 > to view ALL channels (because of a software decryption, for "scientific
 > purposes"...). And no problem for TV-out.
 >
 > Why not to buy Nova card?

Because it doesn't have a hardware MPEG decoder, so that you need a
software decoder.
I think that really should be clearly mentioned by the manufacturer,
otherwise it is false advertising, or at least misleading.

 > Have you had some negative experiences with Nova (or DVB's)?
 > Of course, both the cards use SAA7146a chip... I think...

The SAA7146 has really very different functions for the two cards.
If you can afford it and want to watch TV, get a DVB-s.
If you want internet via satellite get the Nova.

Marcus