[linux-dvb] Re: signal noise ratio and signal strength

Hi Alessio,

the current API defines signal strength and SNR as values in 10^-6 dB or
dBm. This was originally defined by Nokia but is not implemented by most
frontend drivers since the hardware delivers a value between 0...127,
0...255 or 0...65536 and most doc's don't specify how these map onto the
logarithmic scale.

In most cases you want the limited range anyway. We are working on some
changes in the driver, I'm currently porting some of the frontend
drivers to a new API, where we defined both signal strength and SNR to
be kind of linear within 0...65536. I'll post a RFC about the frontend
and DiSEqC API changes next days on this list, but until the
implementations go into the public driver we still need some time.

We can't simply change the API because it was submitted as part of the
LinuxTV standard definition; we'll probably have to release a version 2
of the API. Suggestions about changes are welcome.

- Holger