[linux-dvb] Re: [RFC] Frontend API

Holger Waechtler wrote:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > below you find a proposal for the Frontend API Headerfile. Here a short
 > list of changes and reasons:
 >
 >  - the /dev/ost directory is named now /dev/dvb
 >
 >  - /include/linux/ost is now /include/linux/dvb

I think this is a little but good thing!

 >  - the struct dvb_frontend_info contains a name field, here you can get
 >    type, information and vendor of the tuner device

really good, this is a long-awaited feature.

[...] diseq stuff

I don't know a lot about diseq, I just use a diseq to switch between
hotbird and astra, but I don't know for now the low-level things.

 >  - FE_READ_SIGNAL_STRENGTH and FE_READ_SNR return values in the range of
 >    0...65536 (0 means no signal, higher values good signals). We don't
 > define
 >    if the this range is mapped linear, logarithmic or whatever but
 > recommend that
 >    a value of about 70% (~45000) means a good signal

this is the most important feature I was waiting for. Today those calls
are a mess, because some drivers answer with a value under 255, others
until 64k and others always with 0.

Shouldn't be better if the map is defined to a precise scale, I mean
that linear/logarithmic/whatever? A program that wants to be or have a
'diagnostic' feature should be aware of the mapping system to display,
for example, a graphic bar or whatever...

thank you
bye
as

[reading code...]