[linux-dvb] Re: CAMs - the never ending story...

At 18:41 18/04/02 +0200, you wrote:
>>  > Does enough information exist in the public domain for someone (given
>>>  enough time ;-) to decrypt B-Sky-B's VideoGuard encryption? I'm not
>>>  talking about getting around the encryption but totally legal Sky
>>>  subscription card plugged into the CI slot on a Hauppauge DVB-s card?
>>>  Would it even be possible or would something have to be done on the
>>>  DVB-s card rather than on the PC?
>>
>>The problem is that no CAM exists. The CI-Slot is for plugging in a CAM
>>and not the card directly. If B-Sky-B provides a CAM there may be a way
>>to make it working. But I assume that B-Sky-B has no interest to provide
>>a CAM. The same is true for PW. The CAMs available for PW are
>>(illegally) modified Irdeto CAMs. The PayTV companies have more control
>>over the receiver market and the decryption hardware if they only
>>provide or license receivers with embedded CA interfaces.
>
>The European Community wants to make all (Pay)TV companies use standards,
>in this case to use CAMs which can be used with all receivers. As far as I
>know, there is no law yet, but it may come soon. So there's still hope...
>Dany

The UK Government tried to get BSkyB to use CAMs when they first started
up. Rupert Murdoch told them to get stuffed. He's got enough influence over
the government here to be able to have his own way with this sort of thing.
John
The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the person
or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, the use of this information or any disclosure, copying or
distribution is prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the
material from any computer.
The views expressed in this e-mail may not necessarily be the views of
The PCMS Group plc and should not be taken as authority to carry out any
instruction contained.