[linux-dvb] Re: OT: 2-WAY Internet over SATELLITE

Carsten.Koch@icem.de(Carsten Koch)  10.05.02 18:02

Once upon a time Carsten Koch shaped the electrons to say...

>Axel Gruber wrote:
>> The Price is also OK: 99 EURO/month.

>That is cheap for a 768 kb/s Sat flat rate.

only 400k, in peak(!)

>However, I do not believe that a 768 kb/s FLAT rate via Sat
>is a viable business model, given the fact that one transponder
>has only 38 Mb/s and costs an awful lot more than 5000 Euro/month.
>38 * 1024 / 768 * 99 = 5016

AFAIK Telekom calculates with at least a 1:30 bandwith ratio!
(Remember: there are MANY guys who bought "flaterate" because
they only saw the low price per MB, but they pay per month
much more than they actually uses. And: Telekom is "sponsoring"
T-Online a lot!)

But would 300.000 E/month do it for one transponder?
I don't know the prices.

I think tiscali is trying to use "IP multicasting",
so one paket may be usable for more than one receipient.
Else it would be difficult to realize....
(I don't understand, why they do not offer NNTP (usenet) too,
which would be ideal for multicasting...)

http://www.tiscali.de/main/internet/satellite/

says:

upto  400 kbps Download
upto  130 kbps Upload

"Tiscali start" (for germany)
 420 E Installation (should not be done DIYS because the uplink it must be
       adjusted very exact.)
  79 E Setup (once)
1099 E Hardware
92 E month for at least 12 Month(upto 24)

"Always on"

+ 15...35MB Webspace+5..15 mailboxes

"Tiscali LN"
for "up to 5 computers" 100MB webspace etc.

>So I would expect, that, as soon as more than 50 power users
>subscribe to that service, you will either get lousy performance
>or Tiscali will raise the price.

>Do they guarantee the 99 Euro/month flat price for a longer period?

Does Telekom do/did?
Remember what happend to the ISDN-Flatrate.

>Do they guarantee a minimum bandwidth?

Does Telekom do it for private users?
There are only few providers who "guarantee"
a minimum bandwith, and that is real very expensive.

>Do they support Linux?

http://www.tiscali.de/main/internet/satellite/technik.html

They seems to use Gilat Satellite Networks Ltd. ("Gilat VSAT") technique
using
Eutelsat Eurobird (28.5 Grad Ost) with a
75cm eliptic diameter (60 x 90cm) dish and a
special Transceiver "TiscaliSat".

The TiscaliSat "modem" is connected via USB
or Ethernet to a W*-PC. Linux and Mac are planned for 2002...?
Only IE and NS seems to be usable,
only HTTP,FTP,ASP?(No POP3?).
Bandwidth eating protocolls like "filesharing" may be forbitten/blocked.
AFAIR: No "servers" are allowed on the PC.
No "realtime" applications (due to the long RTT) makes sense.

I think 1300 Euro for the first year + 1500 Euro startup cost is a
lot of money for a very limited service...