[linux-dvb] Re: 8 bit OSD window

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> You have probably made your OSD window too large.

Hi Klaus,

you are right. After reducing the size to 292x292 I could see the rectangle.

> There is only a limited amount of OSD memory available, so you can't
> have a full screen 8bpp OSD window (not even a 4bpp window).

I guess this is a limitation of the card, correct?

> Take a look at VDR's dvbosd.c to see what VDR does to provide a useful
> full screen OSD window. It creates several smaller windows with only the
> absolutely necessary color depth.

Yes, I always wondered why this behaviour was used. Now I know it.
Anyway, although I could split my big window into smaller windows, they
still require 8 bit. So I still cannot create a full screen OSD.

Seems like I have to wait some years, until cards with the appropriate
amount of memory are available. I do not feel like I would like to
remultiplex the stream to add the overlay. What I read on this and the
vdr mailing list, it seems quite problematic.

Thanks anyway.
Andreas

--
Fraunhofer FOKUS        \  mailto:zisowsky@fokus.gmd.de