[linux-dvb] Re: 8 bit OSD window

Andreas Zisowsky wrote:

> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > You have probably made your OSD window too large.
>
> Hi Klaus,
>
> you are right. After reducing the size to 292x292 I could see the rectangle.
>
> > There is only a limited amount of OSD memory available, so you can't
> > have a full screen 8bpp OSD window (not even a 4bpp window).
>
> I guess this is a limitation of the card, correct?

Yes. The card developers apparently needed to save a cent or two and therefore
installed only little RAM :-(

> > Take a look at VDR's dvbosd.c to see what VDR does to provide a useful
> > full screen OSD window. It creates several smaller windows with only the
> > absolutely necessary color depth.
>
> Yes, I always wondered why this behaviour was used. Now I know it.
> Anyway, although I could split my big window into smaller windows, they
> still require 8 bit. So I still cannot create a full screen OSD.

Splitting the windows doesn't help if you still want 8bpp. VDR just defines
some windows with as little as 2bpp, to save memory for the 4bpp areas.
Works pretty neat.

> Seems like I have to wait some years, until cards with the appropriate
> amount of memory are available. I do not feel like I would like to
> remultiplex the stream to add the overlay. What I read on this and the
> vdr mailing list, it seems quite problematic.

I wouldn't bet on that ever happening. If I understand the driver developers
right, the OSD is going to be a vanishing feature in future cards. I bad
decision, IMHO...

Klaus