[linux-dvb] Re: NOVA-t and reception problems

On Sunday 07 Jul 2002 20:43, you wrote:
> Hi
>
> Whatever I try to do, I can not get any decent reception out of my
> WinTV-NOVA-t -card -- I am getting quite confident that the problem
> is with the harware, but until I go to the dealer with the card, I try
> here as the last resort.
>
> I have decent UHF antenna on my roof, w/ 20m cable to the computer
> (straight cable from the antenna). Where I live, there is 3 uhf "channels"
> used for digital broadcasting, 32, 44 and 46. There is also 3 analog UHF
> channels here, 24, 35 and 53 - and all those channels comes chryscal clear
> to my "ordinary" analog television with that antenna.
>
> I started my tries with the "original" dvb driver -- latest downloaded from
> CVS some days ago, and I've used VDR and dvbstream  to test the reception:
> One channel comes almost right -- some messy macroblocks in about every
> frame, but otherwise. All the rest comes with almost every macroblock messy
> -- if I can even get any... All the tuning parameters have been set to
> the correct one in all programs I've used, and I even asked from digita
> (here in finland) what the correct values are and the info I received from
> there was the same I've used mostly in my tests...
>{snip}
> Any thoughts?

Have you tried the Windoze application supplied with the card? In the UK it
seems to need a near-perfect signal to produce a picture but will give sound
with a much weaker one. At least you could verify that the card is working.

Secondly, is the aerial specified for wideband reception? Your three digital
signals are covering a wider frequency range than the analogue ones. In the
UK aerials are specified for channel 'groups' (though wideband ones are also
available) and using one outside its group range will give less gain.

Dave