[linux-dvb] Re: NEWSTRUCT bug report

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 10:23:26AM +0200, Holger Waechtler wrote:
> Philip Armstrong wrote:
> >With the latest CVS checkout of the NEWSTRUCT dvb drivers, after
> >inserting the modules with "make insmod", the kernel thread "kdvb-fe"
> >eats around 40% of CPU until I run dvbstream to stream some data from
> >the card (I have a Hauppage NovaT terrestrial DVB card).
>
> This is normal when the CPU is running idle and the card has not tuned.
> It tries then to find a channel by scanning a wider frequency range.
> When either a signal is found the load of the thread should fall near zero.
>
> When CPU load rises the relative load of the thread should get much lower.

Oh right. I did wonder if it might be something like that, but it
keeps doing so for at least several minutes. How long would you expect
it to take?

> >Also, 10% of the time, the kernel panics when I try to run
> >dvbstream. I could try and send along the panic data if it would be
> >any help...
>
> Could you please send me the ksymoops output? Create it by piping the
> output from dmesg into ksymoops.

I'll try, but we're taking a total machine lockup here -- the panic
happens inside an interrupt handler and the machine halts on the
spot. I'll try and remember to copy down the data by hand next time it
happens.

cheers,

Phil