[linux-dvb] Re: Future of linux dvb

Hi all,

mocm@metzlerbros.de wrote:
> =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Harri_Pietil=E4?= writes:
>  > Hi all!
>  >
>  > I was just wondering what is the future of linux dvb?
>  >
>  > Mainly my concerns are (at the moment):
>  >
>  > - will the NEWSTRUCT -branch be the api that all use? (companies,
>  > individuals, projects, ...) Many companies refer to the linux dvb api,
>  > will the change to version 2?
>
> Hopefully, it will be accepted once it is finished.
> It's not like the API is to be viewed as given, but rather as open for
> discussion. So, if people have suggestions for changes or additions
> they should discuss it on the mailing list. The only major changes in
> the NEWSTRUCT branch concerned the frontend (and the no longer
> existent sec) device.

There were some minor changes in the Demux API (not-equal-filters) as
well. We think about some extensions in the ca-API to allow access to
raw smartcard interfaces.

These are all changes for API version 2, then we will freeze this stuff,
try to get everything more stable again and release this API version.

>  > - will there be enough up-to-date documentation? (on sources, api,
>  > developers, and such)
>  >

Feel free to help improve everything, update documentation, review
sources, send patches! we are only humans and the open-source drivers
are not our only business. Contributors are always welcome.

>  > I hope you share your views. I am very interested in open source
>  > development with linux and dvb. I have some project ideas and some
>  > projects started already.
>
> Ralph and I will use the API (or its improved versions) in any new
> drivers we develope and use the GPL whenever possible. I can't talk
> for Convergence or any other companies.

Please use the API version 2 wherever possible and let us know all
suggestions you have for future changes!

Last weekend Klaus Schmidinger ported VDR to the NEWSTRUCT branch, doing
this pointed out some problems in the driver, I hope we can fix these
next days. Please help to find bugs as early as possible by porting your
software soon. Report problems when they arise.

thanks,

Holger