[linux-dvb] Re: Future of linux dvb

Holger Waechtler wrote:
> mocm@metzlerbros.de wrote:
> >Harri Pietilä writes:
> > >
> > > I was just wondering what is the future of linux dvb?
> > >
> > > Mainly my concerns are (at the moment):
> > >
> > > - will the NEWSTRUCT -branch be the api that all use? (companies,
> > > individuals, projects, ...) Many companies refer to the linux dvb api,
> > > will the change to version 2?
> >
> >Hopefully, it will be accepted once it is finished.
> >It's not like the API is to be viewed as given, but rather as open for
> >discussion. So, if people have suggestions for changes or additions
> >they should discuss it on the mailing list. The only major changes in
> >the NEWSTRUCT branch concerned the frontend (and the no longer
> >existent sec) device.
>
> There were some minor changes in the Demux API (not-equal-filters) as
> well. We think about some extensions in the ca-API to allow access to
> raw smartcard interfaces.
>
> These are all changes for API version 2, then we will freeze this stuff,
> try to get everything more stable again and release this API version.

Please note that the branch is called "NEWSTRUCT", not "NEWAPI".
The primary goal was to maximize code sharing between drivers for
different DVB hardware and to provide a better structure for future
driver developments, not to change the API.

The Linux DVB API was also submitted for standardization to the
TV Linux Alliance http://www.tvlinuxalliance.org/.

However, development never stops, and API changes are inevitable.
We welcome any comments on our changes, and are open for
suggestions.

The main reason why NEWSTRUCT hasn't already been merged to the
CVS mainline is that existing applications, especially VDR, have
not yet been ported. As soon as VDR works stable with NEWSTRUCT
the merge will happen, unless someone has convincing reasons
against it.

Regards,
Johannes