[linux-dvb] Re: Newbie questions

Gavin Hamill wrote:

OK, next up is the DVB driver version.. if you're using a CVS from some point, would you mind trying this one, since I know it to be sound.

ftp://ftp.cadsoft.de/vdr/Developer/linux-dvb.2002-12-08.tar.bz2
OK. I've tried using the above version of DVB. I've tried siemens_dvb-0.9.4-2002-05-20.tgz, siemens_dvb-0.9.4.tar.gz, CVS versions for 20021229, 20030107 and 20030112-newstruct from the download page, and I've checked today's newstruct version direct out of CVS as well (as the package from the webpage seems to be missing various necessary items). None of them work, and by and large they give the same result - I apparently have a good signal but no data streams. I don't think it's the driver, I think it must be something to do with the configuration of my system.

I thought it might be Mandrake's devfs setup (which seems designed to screw things up regularly). "make insmod" only sets up 4 devices under /dev/dvb/adapter0: demux0, dvr0, frontend0 and net0. makedev.napi would setup more devices than this. But I have tried booting without devfs (devfs=nomount) and running makedev.napi to create the devices in a traditional /dev, and it doesn't help. I chmod'ed the devices so they were world read/writable, in case it was a permissions issue (makedev.napi wants to assign the devices to group "video", which doesn't exist on my system), but that doesn't help either.

Maybe it's something to do with the fact that Mandrake included the old mod_dvb modules in their kernel-source package under 3rdparty. I removed them from the source before recompiling, but maybe there are other places in the Mandrake source where I needed also to make adjustments to properly remove the old modules. I wouldn't know how, though. I could try compiling from a vanilla kernel package, but I am loath to do so, as this usually screws up other features that Mandrake have added in.

I have also tried your copy of dvbtune and versions checked out of CVS on 20030107 and 20030112 (i.e. today). It makes no difference. I get the same response whatever I do:

[root@mars dvbtune-20030112]# ./dvbtune -f 505833333 -qam 16 -cr 3_4 -i
Using DVB card "Grundig 29504-401"
tuning DVB-T (in United Kingdom) to 505833333 Hz
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI FE_HAS_SYNC
Event: Frequency: 505833333
SymbolRate: 0
FEC_inner: 3
Bit error rate: 101
Signal strength: 12079
SNR: 59881
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI FE_HAS_SYNC
<transponder type="T" freq="505833333">
Nothing to read from fd_pat
Nothing to read from fd_sdt
</transponder>

It doesn't make any difference (apart from insignificant changes to the Bit error rate) whether I express the frequency in Hz or kHz, which channel I try, whether I use -qam 16 or 64, and whether I use -cr 3_4 or 2_3. I can't think of anything else to try. The two lines:

Nothing to read from fd_pat
Nothing to read from fd_sdt

are trying to tell me something, but I have no idea what. It seems to me that the answer to why this is not working lies in these errors.

I have provided a couple of other bits of information below, in case there are any clues in there. But they look OK to me (at least so long as I am running as root).

Any other ideas? Or am I simply cursed?

Cheers,

Bruno Prior

[root@mars dvbtune-20030112]# ls -l /dev/dvb/adapter0/
total 0
crw------- 1 root root 250, 4 Jan 1 1970 demux0
crw------- 1 root root 250, 5 Jan 1 1970 dvr0
crw------- 1 root root 250, 3 Jan 1 1970 frontend0
crw------- 1 root root 250, 7 Jan 1 1970 net0

[root@mars dvbtune-20030112]# lsmod
Module Size Used by Not tainted
dvb-ttpci 325296 0 (unused)
evdev 4480 0 (unused)
input 3456 0 [dvb-ttpci evdev]
ves1820 3740 0
grundig_29504-491 3648 0
grundig_29504-401 3528 1
alps_tdlb7 4140 0
alps_tdmb7 3748 0
alps_bsrv2 3896 0
alps_bsru6 5684 0
dvb-core 38884 3 [dvb-ttpci ves1820 grundig_29504-491
grundig_29504-401 alps_tdlb7 alps_tdmb7 alps_bsrv2 alps_bsru6]
videodev 5792 0 [dvb-ttpci]
i2c-core 15332 0 (unused)
sg 31244 0 (autoclean) (unused)
st 27152 0 (autoclean) (unused)
sr_mod 15096 0 (autoclean) (unused)
sd_mod 11788 0 (autoclean) (unused)
scsi_mod 91636 4 (autoclean) [sg st sr_mod sd_mod]
ide-cd 28776 0 (autoclean)
cdrom 27040 0 (autoclean) [sr_mod ide-cd]
floppy 49372 0 (autoclean)
lp 6720 0 (autoclean) (unused)
parport 23968 0 (autoclean) [lp]
nfs 66680 2 (autoclean)
audigy 58728 2
ac97_codec 10152 0 [audigy]
soundcore 3780 0 [audigy]
nfsd 66832 0 (autoclean)
lockd 47024 1 (autoclean) [nfs nfsd]
sunrpc 63260 1 (autoclean) [nfs nfsd lockd]
af_packet 13000 1 (autoclean)
tulip 41056 1 (autoclean)
ohci1394 16648 0 (unused)
ieee1394 31596 0 [ohci1394]