[linux-dvb] Re: Newbie questions

Gavin Hamill wrote:

OK, there are only two things I can think of now, and both are clutching
at straws....

1) IRQ conflicts... do an 'lspci -v' or 'cat /proc/interrupts' and make sure nothing is sharing an IRQ.
You may have hit the nail on the head with this one. It's sharing an IRQ with the Audigy's Firewire port. It didn't occur to me this could be an IRQ problem, as I would have expected more fundamental problems. Surprised it seemed to work to receive a channel with clashing IRQ.

root@mars bruno]# lspci -v
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8367 [KT266]
Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 0
Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
Capabilities: [a0] AGP version 2.0
Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8367 [KT266 AGP] (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 0
Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0
I/O behind bridge: 0000c000-0000cfff
Memory behind bridge: ec000000-edffffff
Prefetchable memory behind bridge: e0000000-e7ffffff

00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Linksys Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100 model NC100 (rev 11)
Subsystem: Linksys: Unknown device 0574
I/O ports at d000 [size=256]
Memory at ef005000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

00:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 03)
Subsystem: Creative Labs SB0090 Augidy Player
I/O ports at d400 [size=32]
Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

00:0a.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy MIDI/Game port (rev 03)
Subsystem: Creative Labs SB Audigy MIDI/Gameport
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32
I/O ports at d800 [size=8]
Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

00:0a.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Creative Labs SB Audigy FireWire Port (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
Subsystem: Creative Labs: Unknown device 0010
Memory at ef004000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
Memory at ef000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]

00:0b.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7146 (rev 01)
Subsystem: Technotrend Systemtechnik GmbH: Unknown device 1005
Memory at ef006000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]

00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233A ISA Bridge
Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233A ISA Bridge
Flags: bus master, stepping, medium devsel, latency 0
Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. Bus Master IDE (rev 06) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. Bus Master IDE
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32
I/O ports at dc00 [size=16]
Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon 7500 QW (prog-if 00 [VGA])
Subsystem: Unknown device 1787:0207
Flags: bus master, stepping, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11
Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
I/O ports at c000 [size=256]
Memory at ed000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: [58] AGP version 2.0

[root@mars bruno]# cat /proc/interrupts
CPU0
0: 988994 XT-PIC timer
1: 2861 XT-PIC keyboard
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
5: 11956 XT-PIC Audigy
7: 330 XT-PIC ohci1394
8: 1 XT-PIC rtc
10: 1368807 XT-PIC eth0
12: 345208 XT-PIC PS/2 Mouse
14: 16815 XT-PIC ide0
15: 2054 XT-PIC ide1
NMI: 0
LOC: 988928
ERR: 0
MIS: 0

If there is a share, then do whatever you can to stop it happening - remove all expansion cards except the Nova (or AGP gfx.. ;) ,disable USB
/ serial / parallel / all on-board stuff in the BIOS and try again.
I'm not sure this is a practical solution for me. There won't be much point having TV if I can't hear it! The only cards in the box besides the Nova-T are the AGP Graphics card, Audigy and network card. I can't really do without any of them. Anyway, there seem to be plenty of IRQs free - it's just a question of figuring out how to assign a different IRQ either to the Firewire port or to the Nova-T. I'm going to check the BIOS is set to "no PNP OS", but if that is set correctly, is there a way to force the Nova-T to use a different IRQ? I could find nothing in the documentation for the Audigy to do this.

If that still fails, put the Nova in a different PCI slot.
I'll give that a go too, but I have had IRQ problems on this machine before (should have thought of it earlier) and I'm not sure that will help. I've already tried to choose the slots that were supposed to have the least chance of clashing. In theory, moving them should make it worse, but it's worth a try.

These sound really desperate, but there have been a few documented cases on the list where this was the solution to weird problems - and although they concern users with 2 or 3 DVB cards, it's still worth a try.

2) Try the card in Windows! Make sure you don't actually have a duff one! :)
My wife's machine is dual-bootable, so I could try it on that.

Cheers,

Bruno