[linux-dvb] Re: Status of dvb-kernel vs DVB?

Ragnar Sundblad wrote:

--On den 9 januari 2003 16:38 +0100 Holger Waechtler <holger@convergence.de> wrote:

Which driver version should I be using now?

current CVS head, module DVB/ if you want to watch TV, module dvb-kernel/
if you want to join development.

What is the status of dvb-kernel really? Is it close to on par
with DVB-head?
We want to make a release of the DVB-tree next time. This new release wilol include the Linklayer firmware Klaus is testing these days and it will be the last standalone driver release.

dvb-kernel is the source we use to generate patchsets for the 2.5 kernel tree. Here we are doing fundamental changes like Michael's saa7146 driver rewrite. Next time Florian wants to improve the software demultiplexer so that it supports multiple feeds on the same PID. And we think about some minor API extensions to allow mmap'd demux ringbuffer in order to avoid kernel/userspace copies.

Are bug fixes and new features going into both trees or how
does this work work?
New features which might introduce instabilities should be applied only to dvb-kernel. The driver in DVB/ should only get stabilized.

I'd like to both have a totally stable system _and_ work with the
driver when I can :-). In my experience, the head DVB driver hasn't
been totally glitch free either, but if I am going to work on a
bug it seems stupid to put the efforts on a driver that is doomed.
Bugfixes should always get applied to both trees. When changes are pretty fundamental then we will apply them first in dvb-kernel and maybe we will backport them later to the DVB-tree

On the other hand I don't really want to use a development driver
that has lots of bugs or shortcomings for daily use.

I'd be happy if someone could clearify and maybe give us a
dvb-kernel status update.

In addition, is there any need for using kernel > 2.4.18 for
the DVB driver or the 2.4-compat dvb-kernel driver?
Is there any good reason for using a 2.5 kernel for dvb-kernel
and not use the 2.4-compat stuff?
Basically it should be possible to build the driver against all (or most) 2.4 and 2.5 kernels, but I'm not too sure about this because we did not tested this for a while and Michael purged some stuff from compat.[hc]. So if you get in troubles while building the driver for a particular kernel version please report and prepare a patch.

Holger