[linux-dvb] Re: TechnoTrend DVB-C & ABIT BP6 mainboard problems

--On den 28 januari 2003 10:56 +0100 Marcus Metzler <mocm@metzlerbros.de> wrote:

Uwe Schuerkamp writes:

 > I mounted the card in different PCI slots, and it looks like the
 > distortions get worse as the card gets closer to the AGP slot. I
 > wonder if there are any known issues using this DVB card on this
 > motherboard? Would upgrading the motherboard BIOS help (current
 > version is 2000-something)?

It may also be that you have a heat problem, or a problem with a weak
power supply. Although, we only saw the latter with DVB-s cards.
It seems that my problems recently with my TT-DVB-T card was
the 12V supply. Not only is it quite power hungry on the 12V,
it also seems to be picky about it being over some 11.8V
(which is less deviation than +/-5%), that it is very stable,
and that it can feed in pulses.

I guess it is the 555 based tuner varactor power circuit that
both isn't that stable in its output and that eats power in
spikes. A MAX502[5-8] or similar would probably be better.
There is also the power resistor+linear regulator thing that
eats some 300mA on my card, buts it seems to be a more constant
drinker (does anyone know what it feeds anyway?).

My power supply seems to be weak on the 12V and the motherboard
12V line seems quite thin.

So far I have moved a 12V fan from it's motherboard connector
and taken an ethernet card that I didn't need and put on some
capacitors to the 12V pin and put that next to my DVB card.
This has improved the situation quite a bit.

Modern machines may have less problems as (I think) their cpu
dc/dc converters are fed with 12V so there probably is plenty
of 12V around. On the other hand there may be more noise on it.

/ragge