[linux-dvb] Re: distortions on P4 systems (12V hungry?)

> --On den 28 augusti 2003 17:55 +0200 Andreas Vierengel <vdr@vierengel.de>
> wrote:
>
> > The cards seem to get unstable, if it get's not exactly
> > 12V power supply.
> > Is this a known stability-problem with dvb-s cards ?
> > What can I do to cure the problem ?
>
> I had (and maybe still have a bit of) that problem with a
> DVB-T card.

I might be talking cross purposes, but I had a full featured DVB-T card
which I could never get stable in a variety of systems.

However, In my P4 system I have had a lot of corrupt and distorted data
transfers (which I don't get in my P3 system) with a budget Nova-T card.  In
*my* case the Nova-T driver was trying to use quite aggressive PCI burst
settings and it appeared the motherboard could just not cope.  I had to
completely back down the bursting to single dwords before I got something
which was stable.

This may have absolutely no bearing on your problem, but certainly if you
are seeing a corrupt datastream from the card, as opposed to the card
crashing and falling over then this is something to consider.  I think the
12v issue was more one of the ARM chip crashing and hence no more signal at
all from that point?  My datastream was so corrupt that it was nothing more
than mpeg noise and mplayer would crash after 1-2 seconds trying to play
it...

However, it seems that PCI bus issues are far less of a problem on the full
featured cards, so I think this is unlikely to be your prob?

Good luck

Ed W