[linux-dvb] Re: distortions on P4 systems (12V hungry?)

--On den 28 augusti 2003 17:55 +0200 Andreas Vierengel <vdr@vierengel.de> wrote:

The cards seem to get unstable, if it get's not exactly
12V power supply.
Is this a known stability-problem with dvb-s cards ?
What can I do to cure the problem ?
I had (and maybe still have a bit of) that problem with a
DVB-T card.

My first experiment was to solder some capacitors to the 12V
pin on an old ethernet and insert that in a slot next to the
DVB-T card. I think that helped a little, but it doesn't
seem to make any difference anymore after the steps below.

The next thing was to disconnect a fan that was fed trough
the mother board and put it on a power connector from the
power supply of its own. That helped a lot.

The third step was to buy another power supply which had
a more stable and higher 12V output. The old one had 11,8 V
or something like that.

After those modifications it works quite good, though I
still have intermittent problems on some channels that
I haven't been able to solve yet.

I have a dell modified intel motherboard with a P3 600.

/ragge