[linux-dvb] Re: PVR/VDR on a monitor

> Is there a program with similar functionality to VDR, but which allows
> you to use a normal video card and monitor?

MPlayer or Xine?  Should be easier to setup than MythTV and friends.
Cannot talk about Xine here, as I don't use it, but MPlayer has
DVB-support and supports remote controls through LIRC.

If you need to do time-shift recording this will work:

tzap -r "<program>"
cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 > recording.mpg
mplayer recording.mpg

For removing interlacing you can use MPlayers post-processor.  -vop
pp=md seems to give the best quality for me.  If you get too many
MPEG-artifacts try -vop pp=hb/vb/md.  For cropping the image to remove
flickering/black bars try -vop crop=688:512,pp=md .  If you have too
much CPU power you can try things like -vop hqdn3d,pp=md for removing
noise.  If you have problems with corrupted MPEG-streams (ie dvb-t with
bad antenna), try -vfm ffmpeg since that can do error-concealment
without crashing.  It's all in the docs.  BTW make sure you use latest
CVS.

David