[linux-dvb] Re: [inbox] Re: Difference btw Binary Only Kernel Modules and Firmware

Hi Michael

> IMHO it's ok to have firmware in dedicated processors on extension
> hardware, as long as you have access to the necessary specifications for
> the communication protocol with other parts of the system (which is
> lacking for the av7110 firmware I admit)

This means that using the firmware approach does require additional
hardware. Still the firmware goes back to the DVB driver which then has
dirct access to kernel memory. So if things go wrong in the firmware,
effects can still show up in the kernel and a kernel developer has no chance
to analyze the cause of the error. Which is probably my words for what you
have written in your answer.

> CU
> Michael.

Thnx for answering this one, I now have a much clearer idea what the
firmware is actually doing.

Merry Xmas and all the rest
Egon