[linux-dvb] Re: 2.6.0 and firmware patches?

Hello Lars,

I see. The documentation somehow made me think I needed both... Adding
the above paragraph from your answer to the README might be helpful.
Agreed. I'll add it.

You description is very vague: what crashes - the kernel or the av7110
driver? What makes you believe it's the av7110 driver? Do these crashes
with your last 2.4 installation, too? Did you use "dvb-kernel" or "DVB"
with that one?

Questions... ;-)
Sure. Answers:

I use VDR 1.2.6. VDR keeps going fine (OSD etc.), but picture/sound is
lost and cannot be recovered until I reboot (I have dvb-kernel compiled
statically into the kernel as this is a box supposed to be used exclusively
as a VDR).

I have not checked the most recent version of dvb-kernel with 2.6.0. My
previous version was from CVS about 1-2 weeks ago. There are no suspicious
messages in /var/log/messages.
You shouldn't use the patches from "patches-2.6" then. The firmware was removed, so it's not possible to compile the driver statically into the kernel any more, as long as you don't have the right firmware-hotplug-loading stuff at hand.

Use the "makelinks" version instead. Yesterday I added the option again. You need to download the firmware from the webpage, then select
"Device drivers" => "Multimedia Devices"
=> "DVB devices" => "Compile av7110 firmware into the driver"
and then select the path to your firmware file.

I'd be happy to help in this issue is someone tells me what to do/where to
look.
I'm not the av7110/firmware expert here, but: under what circumstances picture/sound get lost? Live-TV, playback of recordings? Right after the start, after 2 hours?

Does this happen with 2.4 and "DVB", too?

It might be worth asking on the vdr mailing list, too.

Lars
CU
Michael.