[linux-dvb] mplayer DVB speed II.

Following up to my  previous mail about mplayer's slow decoding,
here are some additional tests:

first, speed of audio decoding (mp2 stream, taken from
dvb broadcast and saved to hdd as an elementary stream),
number is CPU usage:
mpg123    5%
mpg321   13%
madplay   9.5%

second, CPU usage of mplayer -vc null:
-ac mp3    17%
-ac ffmp2  19%
-ac null   12%

Further looking into sources revealed that mplayer uses mp123 library
for audio decoding (so the fastest one), in xine this code is
unmaintained and does no longer compile, xine uses libmad instead.
Unfortunately I did not find the way to shut down decoding engine in
xine, so I cannot make direct comparision (but xine certainly
plays the tv more smoothly).

Interesting is the last line, with mplayer -ac null -vc null
12% of CPU usage seems to indicate that mplayer spends this time
only on demuxing, which is quite a loit, since
ts_es_demux /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 /dev/null /dev/null
takes only about 2.3%, and
ts_es_demux /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 file1 file2
about 6%

for reference, all the test were done on Canale 5 (Hotbird),
PII Celeron 266 MHz, Skystar2 rev. 2.6B

Additional, non related note:
I also tried to save the whole transport stream
(with dvbstream -f ... 8192 -o >file.ts), the result was terrible,
extracted video streams were unwatchable (full of errors).
Later experiments revealed that I can save about 2 high resolution
streams, or about 4 lower resolution ones before errors start to be
too grave. Perhaps it has to do something with PCI bandwidth
(saving it not into local HDD, but through a PCI network card
roughly halved the upper limit for bandwidth that is possible to
save before errors show up)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year :-)

| Radovan Garabík http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/ |