[linux-dvb] Re: mplayer DVB speed II.

did you run
mplayer -cache 4096 dvb://

as I previously suggested? Does it help?

Radovan Garabik wrote:

Following up to my previous mail about mplayer's slow decoding,
here are some additional tests:

first, speed of audio decoding (mp2 stream, taken from
dvb broadcast and saved to hdd as an elementary stream),
number is CPU usage:
mpg123 5%
mpg321 13%
madplay 9.5%

second, CPU usage of mplayer -vc null:
-ac mp3 17%
-ac ffmp2 19%
-ac null 12%

Further looking into sources revealed that mplayer uses mp123 library
for audio decoding (so the fastest one), in xine this code is
unmaintained and does no longer compile, xine uses libmad instead.
Unfortunately I did not find the way to shut down decoding engine in
xine, so I cannot make direct comparision (but xine certainly plays the tv more smoothly).

Interesting is the last line, with mplayer -ac null -vc null
12% of CPU usage seems to indicate that mplayer spends this time
only on demuxing, which is quite a loit, since
ts_es_demux /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 /dev/null /dev/null
takes only about 2.3%, and
ts_es_demux /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 file1 file2
about 6%

12% from the file?
The TS demuxer reassembles packets until the completion of a full PES (which may be very big)
but doesn't use temporary buffers, so it shouldn't be so slow; besides it parses tables (if present),
which ts_es_demux doesn't do.
Can you run the same test on a dump without tables and see if mplayer is faster, please?

for reference, all the test were done on Canale 5 (Hotbird),
PII Celeron 266 MHz, Skystar2 rev. 2.6B

Additional, non related note:
I also tried to save the whole transport stream (with dvbstream -f ... 8192 -o >file.ts), the result was terrible,
extracted video streams were unwatchable (full of errors).
Later experiments revealed that I can save about 2 high resolution
streams, or about 4 lower resolution ones before errors start to be
too grave. Perhaps it has to do something with PCI bandwidth
(saving it not into local HDD, but through a PCI network card roughly halved the upper limit for bandwidth that is possible to
save before errors show up)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year :-)

do you mean that your card is unable to keep the rate or that only mplayer can't play
the full TS stream without corruptions (and that xine can) ?

If so, please post a short sample of that TS to ftp://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming and tell me the name, please.

Nico