[linux-dvb] Re: Linux DVB driver install howto

Tim Hewett wrote:
Holger,

On 31 Dec 2003, at 16:32, Holger Waechtler wrote:

Hi Tim,

you might want to try the dvb-kernel CVS, especially for the skystar2 the driver in CVS has been much improved since the 1.0.1 release.

I have just followed that route and with a little guesswork I checked
the CVS tree out and got it to build and install. It now detects the
SkyStar2 ok and also my USB Hauppauge DEC2000-t (I think). I've
now successfully built vdr (the ultimate goal) but when it is run it now
just hangs doing nothing until sent SIGINT. Using szap -n 1 (using
a handmade channels.conf for BBC News24 on Astra 2D) I get a
good lock so there is basic reception of a satellite DVB signal
working ok, but no luck with vdr at all. I guess vdr is starting to  drift
away from the subject matter this list is concerned with but if the
problem is simple then perhaps you can give a hint or two?
If you don't have a hardware MPEG decoder card you might want to try the software decoder plugin for VDR (maybe not yet well enough optimized for your 500MHz box), the Xine-plugin (probably better) or an alternative solution like e.g. MythTV with included software decoder.

Holger