[linux-dvb] Re: Frontend experimental patch v1

> I have done some more tests arount crl_bit() in ves1x93 with my Rev 1.3
> DVB-S (ves1893). Realy only one "soft reset" is needed for this demod (and
> i think for the ves1993 too) to aquire lock. But the ves1893 needs some
> short delay (according to the ves1893 appnote), up to ~500.000 Symbols
> after the reset.
>
> I think, we should hold dvb_frontend.c(h) most common as possible, so all
> this RESET Stuff should be moved completly into the lowlevel frontend
> drivers (if possible/ if nessasary).

Cool! In that case, you sort out the ves1893 driver, and I'll remove the
unneeded FE_POLL/FE_RESET stuff. I don't have any information on any of those
tuners so I can't really do much myself.

> BTW: Do you or somebody else know, why we do FE_SET_FRONTEND twice (via
> before/after_ioctl) ? On my machines the driver will call SET_TONE,
> FE_SET_FRONTEND, than closing Pids/Filters (and demux, i think), and then
> call again SET_TONE, FE_SET_FRONTEND. This doubles tuning time, especialy
> if the frontend needs some delays....

I'm not really sure whats going on with that stuff. The code seems to do:

call before_ioctl()
if that returned -EOPNOTSUPP: call ioctl()
if that returned -EOPNOTSUPP: call after_ioctl()

I assume this is to allow cards which may do things in a funny way.. e.g. the
DISEQC is done by the card itself, and not by the frontend.

It certainly shouldn't cause multiple calls to be directed at the frontend
unless something is really knackered... I don't remember seeing this
behaviour myself.