[linux-dvb] Re: Frontend experimental patch v1

Andrew de Quincey wrote:

I have done some more tests arount crl_bit() in ves1x93 with my Rev 1.3
DVB-S (ves1893). Realy only one "soft reset" is needed for this demod (and
i think for the ves1993 too) to aquire lock. But the ves1893 needs some
short delay (according to the ves1893 appnote), up to ~500.000 Symbols
after the reset.

I think, we should hold dvb_frontend.c(h) most common as possible, so all
this RESET Stuff should be moved completly into the lowlevel frontend
drivers (if possible/ if nessasary).

Cool! In that case, you sort out the ves1893 driver, and I'll remove the
unneeded FE_POLL/FE_RESET stuff. I don't have any information on any of those
tuners so I can't really do much myself.

BTW: Do you or somebody else know, why we do FE_SET_FRONTEND twice (via
before/after_ioctl) ? On my machines the driver will call SET_TONE,
FE_SET_FRONTEND, than closing Pids/Filters (and demux, i think), and then
call again SET_TONE, FE_SET_FRONTEND. This doubles tuning time, especialy
if the frontend needs some delays....

I'm not really sure whats going on with that stuff. The code seems to do:

call before_ioctl()
if that returned -EOPNOTSUPP: call ioctl()
if that returned -EOPNOTSUPP: call after_ioctl()

I assume this is to allow cards which may do things in a funny way.. e.g. the
DISEQC is done by the card itself, and not by the frontend.
exactly.

Holger