[linux-dvb] Re: Kernel OOPS

Robert Schlabbach writes:
 > Aha, that's interesting! My symptoms are a bit different, though: Access to
 > the attribute memory and to the COR is fine, and the CAM _does_ correctly

That also works fine for me.

 > map its I/O registers when I write the configuration value to it (0x0F).
 > CAM reset via the COR also works.

This does not work for me. The value is not written (stays the same as
before writing) and I/O registers are all 0xff.
Other modules (Viaccess, Cryptoworks, Alphacrypt) work fine at this point.
Only Icecrypt, Magic and their clone modules make problems.

 > What doesn't work, though, it access to the I/O registers. I can read them
 > fine, but I cannot reset the I/O interface through the command/status
 > register (the status remains at 0x00, although it should go to 0x40 [FR]
 > after some time). When I skip resetting the I/O interface and start with
 > reading the CAM's buffer size by writing 0x04 to command/status, the LS/MS
 > registers correctly indicate a size of 2, but the data I read from the DATA
 > register is erroneous, and the command/status registers does not behave
 > like it should (it goes to 0x01 after the first read, but not back to 0x00
 > after the second read, but rather remains at 0x01 for about 240 read
 > operations). The erroneous data read appears to match the attribute memory
 > contents.
 >
 > The response I got from TechnoTrend was that the CAM's I/O timings must be
 > incorrect somehow, and that they might have to use a different PLD
 > programming to fix this.
 >
 > However, your suggestion about the power supply actually sounds more
 > plausible to me. After all, I'm quite sure that there is some standard
 > PCCard interface chip in that CAM, and why should that use incompatible
 > timings?

Well, the TT CI card does not use a standard chip like CIMAX (I guess
for cost reasons). So, maybe they did something wrong with timing.
The same might be true for those cheaper CI-CAMs.

The KNC card also uses its own interface hardware.

 > Do you think it is possible that the misbehavior I have observed could be
 > due to the CAM not getting enough power?
 >
 > Also, do you know which pins of the CAM are not getting enough power? Maybe
 > I should look into a little "hardware hack" and solder an extra wire onto
 > the card to supply more current to a specific pin...?

Sorry, no idea.
I also cannot say for 100% that the power supply explanation is
correct. That's only what I heard indirectly. Maybe there really is
more to it.

Hmm, I did not test the Twinhan card with those modules yet. Let's see
how it reacts ...

Ralph