[linux-dvb] Re: Full featured card summary

Holger Waechtler wrote:

> On Sunday 14 March 2004 23:02, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> >
> > > There are some mandatory delays before and after sending
> > > the DiSEqC sequence. The Nokia API rolled all that in a simple
> > > and convenient ioctl which would allow the driver to do
> > > all the timing (so that applications cannot fuck up), but Holger
> > > removed it.
>
> @Johannes: behave.
>
> > Why did he do that? Doesn't make any sense to me...?!
>
> The required delays, the number of required message repetitions depend on the
> actual setup. The old-fashioned API was not able to handle anything but
> simple non-cascaded switches.

Well, I have a setup with two multiswitches behind a DiSEqC relay,
and that workes just fine with the DVB driver. So I would have expected that
to still work with the dvb-kernel driver.

> Please check the DiSEqC spec for details.
>
> > Any chance we'll get that back - or do we have to live with the
> > fact that Holger has "f*cked up" the DiSEqC handling?
>
> ?!?

Sorry, didn't mean to be offensive - it's just that I've finally spent the
time this weekend to set up a machine where I can test the dvb-kernel driver,
and it appeared to work fine, except for DiSEqC support. Since there have been
quite a few guesses why this has been broken between the DVB and the dvb-kernel
driver and AFAIK none of them fixed the problem, I thought this would have been
the actual cause...

> Not without removing the ability to be DiSEqC 2.x compliant and to support
> anything else beside the standard single-switch, unidirectional DiSEqC 1.0
> setup.
>
> Those changes have been introduced about 2 years ago, proper rotor support and
> support for cascaded DiSEqC devices would never have been possible without.
> Bidirectional DiSEqC support neither.
>
> Can you please explain a little more in detail what exactly is your problem
> and why it never showed up before?

Up to now I have been (and still am) using the DVB driver 2003-11-08 and my
cascaded DiSEqC setup works just fine with it. With the dvb-kernel driver
(version as of friday afternoon) the DiSEqC signal is sometimes sent so that
the relay and switch react correctly, and sometimes not. My DiSEqC tester
sometimes displays weird combinations of LEDs (that don't make sense), and sometimes
when switching polarizations there is no change in the tester's LEDs at all.

Klaus