[linux-dvb] Re: Full featured card summary

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> >
> > It doesn't make much sense to remove the power from the LNB
> > while sending the DiSEqC sequence, but luckily vdr doesn't
> > seem to do that ;-)  So, I guess that 'v' is a no-op.
>
> 'v'  means voltage low (13V)
> 'V'  means voltage high (18V)
>
> So if there was no voltage before, 'v' will turn on the "low voltage".

Right. I checked vdr source again, and now see how it works.

I would think the frontend driver should power up the LNB upon open,
and power it down after close.

> > There are some mandatory delays before and after sending
> > the DiSEqC sequence. The Nokia API rolled all that in a simple
> > and convenient ioctl which would allow the driver to do
> > all the timing (so that applications cannot fuck up), but Holger
> > removed it.
>
> Why did he do that? Doesn't make any sense to me...?!
>
> Any chance we'll get that back - or do we have to live with the
> fact that Holger has "f*cked up" the DiSEqC handling?

Nokia specified the ioctl to run asynchronous, which causes
some headaches for implementation. The current API also
is more flexible and simpler, but forces every programmer
to scrutinize the DiSEqC spec to use it right. The old
API also made it difficult to integrate DiSEqC 2.0.

For reference, the old API was in sec.h:
http://linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/DVB/ost/include/ost/?hideattic=0#dirlist

Johannes