[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-CI question

> No, please; this is really discouraging, like the diseqc mess;
> I wonder why in the kernel there isn't a diseqc implementation, at least
> for 1.0 devices and a
> simple 2/1 or 4/1 configuration. Currently all players have to implement
> it in userspace, and IMHO
> this really sucks. Any plan to add such a library in the kernel and the
> corresponding item (lnb)
> in the qpsk structure? It would really be a great improvement: no more
> buggy diseqc code in
> every application !

Adding the DISEQC to the kernel would be bloat. It has to be in userspace to
provide the maximum flexibility for all the possible combinations of diseqc
devices out there. A better solution would be to implement a good standard
userspace library for DISEQC that all the apps use. The stuff that VDR has
looks extremely sophisticated; why not pull that out into a seperate library,
and patch everything else to use it?

The same goes for the CI code. The other 3 or 4 layers of the EN50221 CAM
control interface are already implemented in userspace, and therefore will
suffer from all the possibilities of bugs you describe; why should the link
layer reassembly code be in the kernel as well? And the reassembly code is
the EASIEST bit of the protocol, believe me.