[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-CI question

Andrew de Quincey wrote:

> Its the complex list handling for fragment reassembly thats the bit I don't
> see any reason for having cluttering up the kernel. Theres no high bandwidth
> data being transferred, so theres no real gain in doing in the kernel.
> However, in the av7110 instance, I can see that perhaps there were other
> reasons it was done in the firmware, but those are not necessarily the case
> here.
>
> The extra locking in mine is because it is intended to be a generic API
> implementation for CA devices, along the lines of the other parts of
> dvb_core, so I cannot make any assumptions about any particular device. Note
> that the implementation is pefectly happy with dealing with the av7110-style
> defragmented packets as well, so it could be used to replace the current
> av7110 opensource CA code with the generic API implementation.
>
> I can write sample userspace code for doing the defragmentation if that would
> help people (I've already released a partial version of it, so I can release
> that fine).

Well, I would like to avoid changing the (semantics of the) CI API .

Anyway, if you make your code available we can then discuss if
your proposed changes are after all a good thing.

I'd like to hear Ralph's or Marcus's opinion, as they originally
wrote the CI code in the av7110 firmware and driver, and I think
they know a good deal more about that stuff than I do.

Johannes