[linux-dvb] WinTV Nova-t No go???

1. Double check that the file is actually there.
The file is there I have possibly done everything except dance on top of it to make sure it was there. Lol. But it is definately there.

2. Check the version.  The current drivers only support tda1004x.bin v2.15a  The drivers on the technotend sitre are v2.17 and are incompatible.  Both Technotrend and Hauppauge are very helpful and sent me the 2.15 drivers.  I'm sending then to you by separate mail

Well in the kernel it tells you how to get them via wget, how to extract the dll from the zip package - and exactly where to place the drivers. It is little more than a copy and paste instruction set. (In fact it is completely copy and paste). The instructions to download and extract the .dll explicitly mention that it is downloading the 2.15 drivers. Checking the file name gives the driver version as 2.15 also.

Nonetheless there is always the slim chance that these drivers have been mistakenly upgraded by the manufacturer, so I guess trying your drivers certainly can't hurt - particularly if you sucessfully use them on a WinTV nova-t card.

However as I said before I think all the kernels I tried (about 5 in total) are simply blind to the fact that the file exists at all.

Hauppauge just badge a card made by Technotrend.  The drivers are published by Technotrend.

OK thanks that explains things.

> In Gentoo there were a number of the required devices created
> in /dev/dvb - but not all of those needed were created (like audio0,
> vide0, frontend0) and so on.

That's because they're not all needed and it's a budget card that doesn't have the necessary hardware for those devices. Not all the devices are needed for applications that know about DVB (which is the interface that the card presents to apps).

Again thanks.

> In Slackware there wasn't even any /dev/dvb entry at all. Similarly so in Suse.

No idea here, except that it sounds like the drivers weren't configured correctly.
Forgive me if I say it, but it's not exactly rocket science though is it? I maen it is simply a case of enabling everything in DVB and really you shouldn't go wrong then.

 I give you my 100% assurance that this is what I did, moreover I did it several times over, over several kernel versions and over several different distributions. So far I have tried SuSe, Gentoo and Slackware. Next and last on the list is Connectiva.

All the same, your input is still very much valued.

Unfortunately if Connectiva doesn't work, I think I will have to give up my whole two year experiment with Linux. It is too time consuming and too unpredicable to keep doing stuff like this. In terms of compatability the 2.6x kernel has proved little more than a massive leap backwards to a time when very littlee at all worked.

But that's a different story for a different list.

Thanks again for your help.

GJ

> Has anyone here ever actually got one of these cards to work - and if so, could
> they kindly explain the process?

HTH

Mark

Ps see separate email for tda1004x.bin v2.15a