[linux-dvb] Re: Cooling required for SykStar2 ?

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 13:53:46 +0200
Martin Emrich <emme@emmes-world.de> wrote:

> Today, I got my Technisat SkyStar 2 Card. I heard rumors that the receiver
> circuitry gets very hot.

I heard these rumours too, but I'm not sure if the problem is only there
for old cards (missing heatsink?) or for specific versions (2.3p only?).

There are people out there applying creative cooling solutions to the card,
for example:
  http://scaistar.altervista.org/cooling/cooling.htm

I would like to know from others on this list something accurate about
this issue.

The Skystar2 has 3 main components:
1) the tuner (analog multiplier and filter), in the metallic shield
2) the demodulator (e.g. mt312), a small chip
3) the demultiplexer/PCI device (b2c2 chip), the big chip

On my board (2.3p) it seems that 3) has no heatsink and doesn't get very
hot, while 2) has a heatsink.

Are there any boards with no heatsink on 2) ?
Maybe the overheating affects 1) ?

It would be nice to know.

BTW, what kind of symptoms does the board manifest when overheating
occurs?

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it

Home | Main Index | Thread Index