[linux-dvb] Re: DVB character coding...

From: "Gerd Knorr" <kraxel@bytesex.org>
> I'd expect the versions without explicit byte order being native, thus
> only working by pure luck if the machine you are using happens to have
> the correct byte order.  I'm not sure through, and also havn't seen
> any ucs2-encoded strings broadcasted here in Berlin so I could just
> try ;)

FWIW, in Taiwan one multiplex transmits Chinese service names on DVB-T. I
have only obtained some "mangled" data from it, with the character coding
byte stripped and the rest run through a (Windows ANSI)->(16-bit Unicode)
conversion, which seems to have lost some information. From what I
recovered, the characters seem to be transmitted in big-endian format (i.e.
MSB first then LSB).

I don't know whether coding 0x11 or 0x14 is being used. What is the
difference between those two anyway? Coding 0x11 is specified as using the
"Basic Multilingual Plane" of Unicode, which I read is the first 65535
characters, i.e. all characters you can put in 16-bit words. But what is
coding 0x14? It is described as using the "Big5 subset" of Unicode. What
does that mean? Is it encoded as bytes with escape sequences, 16-bit words
or something else?

Regards,
--
Robert Schlabbach