[linuxtv-softmpeg] Re: Which video card will work?

Peter Urbanec wrote:
softmpeg sounds exactly like the kind of thing I would want to use, but I just can't get it to go.

The problem actually doesn't seem to be with softmpeg - it's more to do with DirectFB. I have an NVidia MX440 card which does not have a VESA2.0 compliant BIOS. As a result, I can't get DirectFB going.

I am looking for an alternative card. Any recommendations for particular models that are known to work with DirectFB + softmpeg?
I have tested libsoftmpeg with two ATI Mach64 cards, one without TV out one with TV out. Both worked ok (haven't done much testing, yet). These cards do not need active cooling and you can get them for about 5-10 EUR at ebay.

Nevertheless, it doesn't work with an x-server simutanously (atyfb clash with X driver). You need a different boot setup.

Niklas