[linuxtv-softmpeg] Re: Audio jumps

Michael Hunold wrote:
Hello Niklas,

On 17.03.2004 15:31, Niklas Peinecke wrote:

Peter Urbanec wrote:

with a current CVS snapshot of everything in a few days. I suspect my life will be easier if I use a system that is similar to what the core developers are working on :-)

It certainly will, but what about preparing the ground for other GeForce users? (And bravely go where no man has gone before.) ;)

I don't like to go somewhere (ie. write some code) when I don't have a map (ie. a basic documentation) ;-(

The problem is that although most cards have dedicated 2D functions (which are well known), the more sophisticated functions (for example blending stuff) can be located in the 3D area of the chipset.

The missing parts for the DirectFB basic stuff can probably be ripped out of the free Nvidia X server code, but when it comes to the 3D parts, you simply don't have the necessary informations.

And especially supporting the tv-output is a pita. I know that there are dedicated projects (for example nv-tv on sourceforge) for providing that, but getting it *all* working together (hw accelerated drawing functions, proper video synchronisation, tv-out) is real hard.
Don't get me wrong, I completely agree. It's just that if nobody ever
tries to get it working it never will. If we would have waited for
hardware docs we would still be using only a very limited set of
hardware with linux. But if one wants a working solution and is willing
to buy new hardware for that Matrox is definitely the way to go.

There current alternatives are:
- get an old Matrox G4x0 with tv-out on EBay
- get an el-cheapo ATI Rage based card on EBay if you don't need tv-out
FYI: I'm working on that. :)

- buy a CLE266 based EPIA board
Niklas