[mpeg2] Re: jittery picture

Torsten Howard wrote:

> http://www.atlantic.ne/~torsten

That URL led me on a merry chase.  First I tried it as written, and it
didn't work.  (.ne is Niger, FWIW.)  I then figured, okay, Torsten is a
Northern European name, so maybe he meant .no (Norway) or .nl (The
Netherlands).  Nope and nope.  Finally I looked at your email address
and found that inetw.net is a Floridan ISP -- the ol' light bulb went
off over my head: "ah, .net!"  :)

> the jitter occurs at the end.

I examined the video frame by frame, and something along the chain seems
to be losing vertical sync: there's one frame that's discolored, and
another one right after that where the motion seems to have jumped way
back, then the video continues normally.

It's possible that a timebase corrector could fix this.  You can get
them as cheap as $225.  Or, you can set some PC capture cards up as a
kind of poor-man's timebase corrector: if the capture card has both
inputs and live outputs, it probably functions as a timebase corrector.

For more on this subject, read my review of the Datavideo TBC-1000, at
the site linked below.  Besides reviewing the TBC-1000, the article goes
into some of the theory of TBCs.

Good luck,

--
= Warren -- Video articles: http://www.cyberport.com/~tangent/video/