[mpeg2] Re: O.K. I am lost ... kfir.c and newer kernels (2.4.7)

Have you tried the following fix?  This should really be updated in the CVS version
(in addition to the new data structure for v4l support).

To: pipelka@bms-austria.com
     Subject: [mpeg2] Re: crash on rmmod
     From: Rob Morris <rlmorris3@home.com>
     Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 18:26:41 -0600
     Cc: mpeg2@linuxtv.org

Hi Alexander,
We ran into the exact same problem when removing the kfir module.
The symptoms were:
1. you could capture 1 good mpeg2 after a reboot, thereinafter no mpeg2 could be
displayed with an mpeg2 player (but we could still get a datastream).
2. Long delay after you hit Ctrl-C with the 'cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg' (3-4
seconds)
2. kernel crashes when you remove kfir module

The problem appears to be a bug in the kfir module in kfir.c at line 2631.

The function is:

static void kfir_remove_device(struct kfir_dev *kfir)

the troublesome lines of code are

               val=rplxl(DMA0_DONE_ENABLE);
                val&=~DMA0_DONE_ENABLE;
                wplxl(DMA0_DONE_ENABLE, val);

change these to

               val=rplxl(PLX9054_DMA0_MODE );
               val&=~DMA0_DONE_ENABLE;
               wplxl(PLX9054_DMA0_MODE , val);

Quite frankly, I can't see how the current code could have ever worked!
Hope this fixes your problem.

Andreas Trottmann wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 27, 2001 at 06:36:44PM +0900, Naohiro Shichijo wrote:
>
> >   I tried the same way as you did. I added one parameter (0) at video_register_
> > device function call. My situation is, insmod is OK, encoding seems not working
> > but when I tried to rmmod. it said segmantation fault. I didn't investigate
> > further. Linux kernel is 2.4.12, Kfir is obtained with cvsup.
> >
> > BTW, what is the latest kernel version, which supporsed to be working with
> > Kfir?
>
> I have it working fine with 2.4.9, using the stock driver with nothing
> but the video_register_device change.
>
> On some hardware (single board computer with a VIA Apollo chipset), insmod ->
> encode -> rmmod works well. On other hardware ("Relience Computer
> CNB20HE"), insmod -> encode works, but rmmod oopses. But as the encoding
> always works, I'm not unhappy.
>
> --
> Andreas Trottmann <andreas.trottmann@werft22.com>

Home | Main Index | Thread Index