[mpeg2] WinTV PVR USB a better solution (Was: Is this list still alive? ........)

Rett Walters writes:

 > Hello all:
 >
 > I have been playing with the Kfir board from BMK to encode MPEG2
 > video, and have run ...

I also have a Kfir card and although I've managed to successfully
capture streams, I have found that the Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB
hardware mpeg2 capture box to work very well and be a lot less trouble
in general.  Video quality is so good for my application that I've
abandoned the kfir - I've not compared the relative video quality of
the two, but I suspect that the kfir might be better (if only because
it can go upto 10Mb/s).

Depending on your application, you might find that the WinTV PVR USB will
do the job for you (unless you have a very demanding capture requirement).
See: http://www.hauppauge.com/html/wintvpvrusb_datasheet.htm

You can find linux drivers for the WinTV pvr at pvrusb.sourceforge.net
(be sure to pick up the latest firmware from Hauppauge).

I know that this answer doesn't directly answer your question about the
kfir, but changing to the WinTV may save you time and money. I've used
my WinTV device on both pal and ntsc and with captures upto 6mb/s

I bought my WinTV PVR USB for $200. Just so you all know, I am not
affiliated in anyway with Hauppauge - I keep repeating WinTV PVR
USB because they have a PCI card with a very similar name for which
the is *not* a working driver.

I also took the liberty of changing the subject of this thread, for
people searching the list archive possible mpeg capture devices..

Andrew

Home | Main Index | Thread Index