[mpeg2] Re: WinTV PVR USB a better solution (Was: Is this list still alive? ........)

Andrew:

Thanks for the infomation.  I will look into this possibility.  Would it be possible
for you to put a small clip of something you recorded at 6mb/sec full frame NTSC on
the net somewhere where I could download it to get a look at it?  I am thinking that
6mb/sec is probably enough for my application.  Also are you aware if the unit has
support for Motion Compensation using the Linux drivers?

Rett Walters

PS. I have noticed the the WinTV PVR PCI 250/350 unit has drivers being developed
for it at ivtv.sourceforge.net, it appears to be coming along very well, (unlike the
 WinTV PVR PCI, which appears to be now a dead project)

Andrew Thomas (dat@hpl.hp.com) wrote:

>Rett Walters writes:
> >
> > Hello all:
> >
> > I have been playing with the Kfir board from BMK to encode MPEG2
> > video, and have run ...
>
>I also have a Kfir card and although I've managed to successfully
>capture streams, I have found that the Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB
>hardware mpeg2 capture box to work very well and be a lot less trouble
>in general.  Video quality is so good for my application that I've
>abandoned the kfir - I've not compared the relative video quality of
>the two, but I suspect that the kfir might be better (if only because
>it can go upto 10Mb/s).
>
>Depending on your application, you might find that the WinTV PVR USB will
>do the job for you (unless you have a very demanding capture requirement).
>See: http://www.hauppauge.com/html/wintvpvrusb_datasheet.htm
>
>You can find linux drivers for the WinTV pvr at pvrusb.sourceforge.net
>(be sure to pick up the latest firmware from Hauppauge).
>
>I know that this answer doesn't directly answer your question about the
>kfir, but changing to the WinTV may save you time and money. I've used
>my WinTV device on both pal and ntsc and with captures upto 6mb/s
>
>I bought my WinTV PVR USB for $200. Just so you all know, I am not
>affiliated in anyway with Hauppauge - I keep repeating WinTV PVR
>USB because they have a PCI card with a very similar name for which
>the is *not* a working driver.
>
>I also took the liberty of changing the subject of this thread, for
>people searching the list archive possible mpeg capture devices..
>
>Andrew

Home | Main Index | Thread Index