[vdr] Re: CI / CAM module in software

Hello Andreas,

> > But if a Decoder in SW is averrable for everyone, there must be a source
> > for the Keys.
> > These Keys will become public.
> > Then there are too many People, who are using the Keys without paying PW
> > for the Programs.
> >
> The source for the keys could be a original smartcard connected to any
cheap
> card-reading hardware. So you only have to buy a reader that is able to
> connect to smartcards for any encryption method (the SC connectors are
> standardized, aren't they?) and only use a software that emulates the CAM
> hardware, so no key would become public.

Another problem is, that the CAM-Modules have to be a licensed
implementation of the encryption standard, like irdeto or betacrypt, so even
if there are open-source impementations, they are definately illegal (why do
you think the soft-ci.dll is distributed separately?). I would really prefer
if the discussion here would stop. There are enough boards that discuss the
legal issues of this (completely unrelated to vdr or the linux-dvb-drivers).

Ciao,

    Achim

Home | Main Index | Thread Index