[vdr] Re: output on vga card?

On Sunday 17 March 2002 04:03, you wrote:
> At the moment, I tried only the mplayer on my VGA Card with TV out. It
> works perfect! Now it will be nice, to have the VDR output also on the
> TV out of the VGA card.
I'm working on such kind of a solution. But I needed to patch many things to
get it working. There are some problems which are easy overseen.
The picture of mplayer is not bad, but did you ever tried to play
vdr-recordings this way?
This also might look good at a first glance and if you have luck. But have a
look at a recording from Bloomberg where they have the stock ticker and a
news ticker. To get this perfect you need two things: 1.) you have to
synchronize to the correct half frame (the odd frame must appear as odd
frame). 2.) You have to use exactly the same resolution like VDR and the
lines of VDR must match the line on TV-out, i.e. an odd line from VDR must be
an odd line on TV-out.
This took a while to get this working. I'm planning to release all my stuff
soon. If you want you may have a look then.
I'm using a Matrox G400 (G200 also works) because the TV-out quality is very
good and it's best supported by DirectFB which I also use.

> But how can I change the video output to VGA fb device (dev/fb0) with a
> resolution of 800x600?
As I sad, before: For best picture quality only 720x576 does the job (in PAL
land). If you want to use another resolution you need to deinterlace and
scale before viewing. But this makes sense only if you have a projector. If
your aim is to watch on a TV-screen, then you should use the resolution of
the TV-screen. Everything else makes no sense in my opinion.

Mike

Home | Main Index | Thread Index