[vdr] Re: STB VDR

On Friday 19 April 2002 10:15, you wrote:
> hi,
>
> just my 2cent:
>
> the 2 scarts could be: 1 out (to tv), one in/out (for vcr).

Yes, they are.

> > It's a set-top box, it's an embedded device that is targeted to be in
> > your living room, connected to your TV set. It has a cool extra chip on
> > the mainboard: the Sigma EM8400 for MPEG2 en-/decoding (we're not
> > entirely sure about encoding yet, but their graphs that came with the
> > docs suggest that;
>
> can only decode mpeg. but does support osd !!! driver and software are
> available at sigma designs (though binary only). look for "netstream".

No encoding ? That's sad... hope the CPU is powerful enough to do the
encoding...

> > BTW: We found out that even with PAL, S-Video has a much better quality
> > than SCART is able to offer :-) I don't know enough technical details to
> > say why this the case.
>
> the scart connector can be used for fbas, s-video, rgb. the quality
> depends
> on what you are using/have configured.

Ah, there's always more to learn... thnx :-)

> the real question is: is this board supported by the netstream stuff
> /other drivers? is everything else supported?

Yes it is. We already had to write some low-level stuff and I know that there
is a NetStream directory in the sources.

> if yes, it might be a good box for a nova-ci (if ever supported).
> and: time shifting would be possible with one dvb card.
>
> greetings,

What's Nova-CI ?

Home | Main Index | Thread Index