[vdr] Re: OT: Record a DVD on the fly ?

If you do not need "real" DVDs with menu, etc. you can simply burn the
VDR-directories with iso9660-format (the combination cdrecord-proDVD and
Xcdroast 0.98pre10 works great). But they only can be read with VDR.

Another possibility is to do the same, but reformat VDR's MPEG-PES to
MPEG-PS and create new index. MPEG-PS is the standard-format of DVD and
most newer DVD-Player should be able to browse the directories. And the
new index keeps compatibility to VDR.

Everything other has the problem there is a) no authoring-software for
linux yet (I'm working to get it run with wine) and the kernel threatens
all DVD-/CD-Rom-drives as read-only. That's why it is so uncomfortable
to use packet-writing with UDF (I hope the kernel developers will look
for that problem).

But if you just want to burn files on data-DVD you can do it
automatically with a shell-script:

VDR-files -> mplextools -> genindex -> determine volume of files ->
mkisofs -> cdrecord-proDVD

Rene

Hennebert Philippe wrote:
> Hello Axel,
>
> I know very little about linux, even less about vdr (I don't have a DVB-S
> card yet), and almost nothing about DVD-Rs.
> But I'm a Mad Video Collector (TM), who owns 17000 movies on VHS and who'd
> like to start recording on DVD-R (true Video DVD readable on standalone DVD
> players).
>
> Are you saying that you can convert any VDR recording to MPEG2 burnable onto
> DVD? Were you able to automate the process? Would it possible to automate
> the process
>  	analog source -> capture -> mpeg2 encoding (on the fly or not) ->
> burning onto DVD
>
> Which combination or hw/sw (DVB-S or analog capture card) let you capture on
> the fly onto DVD-R on windows? Can you capture on the fly then finalize the
> dvd and get something readable on standalone DVD players?
>
> Sorry for the newbie questions, but these are quite important for me (I'm
> impatient to have 10,000 DVDs lying around instead of 20,000 VHS ;-) )
>
> Thanks,
>
> Best regards,
>
> Philippe

Home | Main Index | Thread Index