[vdr] Re: Does DVB-S fit into Shuttle SV24?

Hi Lars,

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Lars Wessels wrote:
> I was wondering if the full size DVB-S PCI Card (Rev. 1.3) fits
> into these litte alu cases from spacewalker (shuttle sv24) which
> has only one PCI slot (riser card). Anyone ever tried?
Yes I have, and you will get into big trouble with the cables. The card is a
bit too long, especially the CI connector makes it difficult. So you'll
probably not able to use a floppy drive, and might have to replace the
original IDE-cable with a longer one if you install a CD-ROM or CD-Recorder.

> How much noise does the fan make?
Very far too much. It's as noisy as my server, nothing at all for the living
room. Because this and the single short PCI slot I recommend not to use the
Spacewalker as VDR. Don't forget it's not cheap either.

I've published a test of the Spacewalker SV24 in the german Linux-Magazin
06/2002, it will be out next monday.

With best regards,
  _cooper_
 LinVDR - The Digital Linux Videorecorder               http://www.linvdr.org