[vdr] Re: automatic channel scan

Steffen Koch schrieb:

> Christian Berger wrote:
> > > maybe just ask the user (after some input from him, else the question
> > > will be displayed on an switched off TV ;-)) ) that vdr found new
> > > channels, if it should add them to the channel list. The user could then
> > > sort them where he wants them to be. But I think we then need a
> > > blacklist too, automatically containing all "by hand" deleted channels,
> > > so that it doesn't detect deleted channels again...
> > Maybe we should handle this a bit like e-mail. We put all not stored
> > channels into a seperate file, with a date when they first appeared.
> But then you have to scan for new channels daily...

No actually you "scan" for them continiously. Isn't there a way to just
look what other pids are on the transponder you currently tune into,
while still showing the channel you currently have? I think we are
already doing this with the EPG. And when we do nightly EPG scans, we
would also find almoust all new channels.

> > Then whenver there are new channels since the last time we looked at
> > that list, we display a little notice in the channel dialog. But by no
> sounds good.
> but maybe present the complete list of not already listed channels to
> the user. The user can then take them over to the main channels.conf or
> put them on a deleted list, so they do not reappear in next scan.

Well I would simply let them stay in that list, just mark them "old".
The user still can select them if he changes his mind, and we wouldn't
have to worry about 3 channel lists, but only 2.

> > means we should make any pop-up dialogs or something since that might
> > interfere with video recordings to tape and other things.
> ok.
>
> > Hey, maybe a stupid idea, but when you play-back a video or a DVD the
> > tuner is kinda idle, isn't it. Would it be possible to scan the EPG
> > data, as well as for new channels then?
> agreed.

Is that possible? Wow.

Servus