[vdr] Re: since vdr-1.0.x a lot of restarts in record mode

John.Williams@pcmsdatafit.co.uk(John Williams)  05.06.02 09:34

Once upon a time John Williams shaped the electrons to say...

>Hello,

>I couldn't get vdr 1.0.2 with the AIO patch to record reliably in divx
>mode. It would record for a while, then hang for 30 seconds or so,
>then crash. I've tracked down the problem to a bug in the "ringbuffer"
>code: if the buffer becomes full because the divx encoder cannot keep
>up, the data stream is completely broken.

That would fit to the problem found with almost full disc
(ext3) were the write operation becomes slower/COPU costly
because it's diffcult to "find"/to move to new free blocks
on disc. Typical/generally 15% of disc should be free to
avoid such problems. (Old unixes did that by the "10% over quota"
for the root account...)

Do XFS users report that problem too?

>The following patch solves the problem by throwing away the buffer
>contents when it is full: you get a glitch in the recording, but I
>don't see how this can be avoided if the encoder is too slow:

Yepp.
Call Doc Einstein and dilatate the time?
Drop entire images/frames?
Turn sound off to make the error not hearable too?
Use more buffers in the hope, that the next frames will be
easier to encode?

PS:
>The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the person
>or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
>privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient of this
Would you please be so kind to save the valueable bandwitdh
of the list servers by removing that real funny, old fashioned,
but totally useless "footer"?

Home | Main Index | Thread Index