[vdr] Re: Re : Bitmap-format of OSD?

Am Mon, 2002-06-10 um 09.58 schrieb Markus Schorer:
> hi,
>
> > i do have the code for that, as i was playing with dxr3 support for vdr
> > myself. However, it is not that easy! SPU's have only 4 colors and vdr's main
> > menu needs more. I belive that the best way to go for the dxr3 cards is to
> > implement the main menu not as overlay, but to encode it in MPEG1 with a
> > static background and use OSD (SPU in that case) only for the osd parts
> > (channel display, progress bar).

This seems to be the easiest way, but it will need much CPU load to
decode MPEG2 and encode the MPEG1 with OSD from it. Won't matter on my
1,1 GHz server and my client, but I also think about the
low-budget-people who can't afford such fast machines.

I also favorize the SPU-method as MPEG2-stream with SPU is the most
compatible output and any MPEG-player can handle it.

What about reducing colors ( X or Y = X)?

You also said in a Mail that background is one color. Do we need a
background in SPU or can we drop it?

> but as far as i know, even vdr has the 4-color limitation on it's menu.
> it does use multiple windows with different color-spaces to display
> more colors though. this should be possible with multiple spu-streams
> with different color-luts too.

Maybe, but I don't know any MPEG-player who can display several SPUs.

> i once had another idea:
> get the iframes from the currently playing video stream and overlay
> the osd data on these images (and display this as i-frames only).
> i think this should result in a quite similar effect to the way
> it is displayed now, without using too much cpu.

Wrong. MPlayer does this for feeding MPEG-cards like DVB-S or DXR3 and
they still need 700 MHz to run it smoothly. Only MPEG1/2 is working with
slower CPUs as MPlayer simply passes them by. This would happen with my
output idea when using DXR3. But I also want to use FBdev/X/SDL  with
Mplayer and, of course, the low-budget-users will do ...

Rene

Home | Main Index | Thread Index