[vdr] Re: Re : Bitmap-format of OSD?

On Monday 10 June 2002 18:23, Rene Bartsch wrote:
> Am Mon, 2002-06-10 um 09.58 schrieb Markus Schorer:
> > hi,
> >
> > > i do have the code for that, as i was playing with dxr3 support for vdr
> > > myself. However, it is not that easy! SPU's have only 4 colors and
> > > vdr's main menu needs more. I belive that the best way to go for the
> > > dxr3 cards is to implement the main menu not as overlay, but to encode
> > > it in MPEG1 with a static background and use OSD (SPU in that case)
> > > only for the osd parts (channel display, progress bar).
>
> This seems to be the easiest way, but it will need much CPU load to
> decode MPEG2 and encode the MPEG1 with OSD from it. Won't matter on my
> 1,1 GHz server and my client, but I also think about the
> low-budget-people who can't afford such fast machines.

That is reason, i said "static background", MPEG1 encoding will only have to
happen when the menu content changes.

> I also favorize the SPU-method as MPEG2-stream with SPU is the most
> compatible output and any MPEG-player can handle it.
>
> What about reducing colors ( X or Y = X)?

don't know, try to build a version of the main vdr menu that uses only 4
colors!

> You also said in a Mail that background is one color. Do we need a
> background in SPU or can we drop it?

there has to be a background, always, even a fully transparent background will
count as color.
the best info i could find on SPU's is at:
http://members.aol.com/mpucoder/DVD/spu.html

> > but as far as i know, even vdr has the 4-color limitation on it's menu.
> > it does use multiple windows with different color-spaces to display
> > more colors though. this should be possible with multiple spu-streams
> > with different color-luts too.
>
> Maybe, but I don't know any MPEG-player who can display several SPUs.

The SPU we are talking about are DVD style SPU's, right? There is no way to
layer multiple SPU's with those.

> > i once had another idea:
> > get the iframes from the currently playing video stream and overlay
> > the osd data on these images (and display this as i-frames only).
> > i think this should result in a quite similar effect to the way
> > it is displayed now, without using too much cpu.
>
> Wrong. MPlayer does this for feeding MPEG-cards like DVB-S or DXR3 and
> they still need 700 MHz to run it smoothly. Only MPEG1/2 is working with
> slower CPUs as MPlayer simply passes them by. This would happen with my
> output idea when using DXR3. But I also want to use FBdev/X/SDL  with
> Mplayer and, of course, the low-budget-users will do ...

Something general: I do really like to have DXR3/H+ cards for output, but this
should IMHO be build into vdr as a plugin. I HATE the mplayer-4-everything
idea.

Andreas
--
Andreas Schultz <aschultz@cs.uni-magdeburg.de>
Student of computer science

"In accordance with plans for Linux OS world domination
      infiltration of governments is vital (:-))."

Home | Main Index | Thread Index